In efforts to expand my cooking ability, I’ve been slowly (but surely) adding and swapping various ingredients to recipes I’ve been trying. The below is a list of recipes I’ve either changed, or some of the more commonly used ones I mention throughout my posts…
Healthy Healthy (but yummy) Granola Bars
In my batch I added:
- about 2 1/2 c. rolled oats (not quick oats)
- about a 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
- about a 1/4 c. flax seed meal (optional)…I ground the seeds in my coffee grinder
- some cinnamon
- about (probably more than) a 1/2 c. Natural peanut butter
- about a 1/2 c. water
- about 3 tsp. vanilla
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- anndd about a tbsp or two (or three) of my new friend AGAVE to sweeten it up a bit.
ANDD, instead of adding in the dried fruit and nuts separately, I bought a yummy pre-mixed mixture of dried apples, sunflower seeds, peanuts, raisins, chocolate chips, etc (probably a cup or so). that I sometimes put on top of salads. With that mix, I added a bit extra in the chocolate chip department (ground in my coffee grinder) so I wouldn’t scare away all those people that are COMPLETELY unhappy with COMPLETELY healthy foods…just enough to lure them in 🙂
After friends and family devoured them, the only suggestion I have is to package them in ziploc bags and let them sit overnight. They are MUCH better the next day, and hold their shape nicely. Good luck!